June 23, 2014
Making plans for summer vacation is exciting, but there's a lot to remember - making plans for your pets, hiring the neighbor kids to water your garden, stopping your mail and maybe even getting the lawn mowed one last time. Review these travel tips to make sure your personal information and your money are protected while you are enjoying a few days away this season.
- If you are headed out of town, give us a quick call to let us know. One of the ways we protect you is to block suspicious transactions, including unexpected out-of-town purchases. Your call will save you the inconvenience of having your card declined. It's easy - just use this form on our website or give us a call! For more information on debit use and other GCSB products, visit our online video education center.
- Clean out your wallet. Carrying a lot of credit and debit cards on vacation only increases the likelihood that one of them will become lost or stolen. Take only what you need, and make sure your limits are high enough to cover all expenses. Extra tip: Find out your daily withdrawal limit before you leave and ask to have it increased while on your trip.
- Always be mindful of your personal security when accessing an ATM. Put your money and your card away immediately after making a withdrawal. Count your money later, out of public view. Extra tip: If you can’t find an ATM and need cash, ask for cash back when you use your debit card for purchases at retail locations.
- Put your receipts in your pocket — not the bag. It’s common to end up with a lot of receipts when traveling. Even though receipts don’t typically display full account numbers, a thief can still do a lot with the information. Crooks can also use receipts to make fraudulent returns linked to you.
- Monitor your account frequently. Checking your account balance is a great way to combat fraud. With the new GCSB Mobile Banking app, you can receive alerts to potential fraud on your smartphone and check your account balances as often as you’d like.
- Report a lost or stolen card immediately. Contact Guthrie County State Bank during regular business hours or Shazam Customer Service 800-383-8000 at any time. Be sure to contact us for all emergency travel phone numbers before your trip and keep them in a safe place.